Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHY SHOULD I CONTRIBUTE THROUGH THE MARYLAND CHARITY CAMPAIGN (MCC)?
The MCC is a convenient, cost-efficient method to donate through the ease of payroll or pension deduction, credit or debit card, or electronic check! The MCC also:
- Is accountable: all participating charities have been pre-screened by the Office of the Secretary of State to ensure that they are trustworthy and meet the requirements to participate.
- Makes a difference: the community-at-large can identify the commitment of State employees and retirees, knowing that their altruism is making an impact in communities near and far.
- Creates an opportunity: State employees and retirees may contribute to charitable organizations in a uniform process through one annual campaign.
- Gives donors the power: donors choose the amount and the charity or charities to receive their gifts thus providing donors the opportunity to contribute to one that touches their hearts.
- Is tax deductible: All funds given to charities through the Maryland Charity Campaign are tax deductible.
- Is easy: donors can choose how to give: through payroll or pension deduction, a one-time credit or debit card contribution, or a one-time gift by electronic check.
Read more reasons why you should give on this page.
2. WHAT HAPPENS TO UNDESIGNATED CONTRIBUTIONS?
Undesignated contributions are distributed among MCC-participating charities based upon the percentage of the designated funds they receive. If a donor does not designate a charity to receive their donations, designation is not specified, those funds will be treated as undesignated. Charity write-ins are not permitted, every charity is pre-vetted.
3. WHAT HAPPENS IF A CHARITY I WANT TO GIVE TO ISN’T LISTED?
The Office of the Secretary of State vets every participating charity to determine their eligibility to participate in the MCC. Only those charities listed have been approved to participate in the MCC, charities that are not listed may not have applied or may not be eligible to participate.
4. HOW DOES A CHARITY BECOME PART OF THE MCC?
Each charity must apply annually and meet the criteria set forth in the Executive Order.
5. IF I CHANGE JOBS WITHIN THE STATE GOVERNMENT, WILL MY PAYROLL DEDUCTION CONTINUE?
Yes. If you transfer, please contact America’s Charities at email@example.com or call 571-458-1072.
6. HOW MUCH MONEY DID THE MCC RAISE LAST YEAR?
In 2020, more than 6,900 Maryland employees and retirees raised more than $2.1 million — $2,159,476 to be exact — through the MCC for nearly 1,000 worthy causes. Our 2021 goal is $2 million.
7. WHO ADMINISTERS THE MCC?
The Office of the Secretary of State administers the MCC.
8. WHO PROCESSES MY DONATIONS?
America’s Charities, as the Operating Agency, processes all donations.
9. WHAT IS THE MCC’S ADMINISTRATIVE FEE?
The administrative fee for the MCC’s Operating Agency is a flat amount established in the contract with the State. The fee is based on a percentage of the actual amount raised in the 2020 Campaign, but cannot exceed 11.84%, of the prior year’s dollars raised, in other words, it cannot exceed $255,681.
10. DOES THE MCC SET A QUOTA ON CONTRIBUTIONS TO LARGER CHARITIES OR REDIRECT CONTRIBUTIONS TO SMALLER CHARITIES?
No. No quotas for contributions exist for charities of any size, large or small. All contributions designated to eligible charities go to that charity. Undesignated dollars are distributed among the charities based upon a percentage of the designated funds they receive.
11. HOW DOES MY CHARITY RECEIVE ITS CONTRIBUTION?
After the Campaign ends, donations are distributed to charities quarterly either by check or bank transfer.
12. WHAT TAX INFORMATION DO DONORS NEED TO KNOW?
Donors should consult their accountant or tax advisor to answer questions about tax benefits.
13. HOW DO DONORS GIVE ONLINE?
Donors begin the donation process by visiting the homepage and clicking “Give Now.” Once donors land on the MCC online giving portal, simply click “Sign In” from the top right corner to be taken to the account sign-up page.
- Please contact the help desk at 571-458-1072 for assistance in creating your account.
- If donors participated in the 2020 Campaign, click here and enter the credentials they created last year.
- If donors cannot find or forgot the credentials created for the 2020 MCC, they should visit http://impact.ac/mccforgotpw and click “Forgot Password.”
- If donors did not create an account during the 2020 Campaign, they first need to register. They may click here to get started, then follow the prompts to enter their work email and create a unique username and password. Passwords have the following requirements:
- Six (6) character minimum
- At least one alphanumeric character (!*^)
- At least one digit (0-9)
- At least one uppercase letter (A-Z)
Then click “Sign Up.”
Note: Donors will receive an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” with a link to verify their account. If they do not receive the email after a few minutes, they should check their spam folder. Once donors click on the link, they will be directed back to the online giving portal to make their donation.
Within the pages of the Giving Guide, donors will find comprehensive instructions on how to give by payroll deduction, credit card, debit card, or electronic check.
If donors need assistance with creating or accessing their account, complete the form at http://impact.ac/2021mccloginhelp to contact the MCC Help Desk and get an answer within 24 hours.
14. WHAT SECURITY MEASURES ARE IN PLACE?
Protecting personal information is critical, and security is our top priority. In addition to complying with the State of Maryland’s rigorous security requirements, America’s Charities’ Simply Giving platform provides state-of-the-art security to prevent any data from being compromised and requires email verification. All employee donors are required to create an account and verify their work email addresses.
15. HOW CAN I ACCESS MY PREVIOUS PLEDGE HISTORY?
There are four ways donors can access or request a copy of their 2020 MCC pledge/payment receipt:
- Option 1 =
- Log into their online giving account: If a donor participated in the 2020 MCC, they can log into their account by visiting https://mcc.maryland.gov/ and
- Click the “Give Now” button.
- The donor will be directed to the online giving website.
- To view their pledge history, click “Sign In” from the top right corner of the site and log in or create a new account, per the instructions listed in #14.
- Once the donor has logged in, they can access their pledge history by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to the “Pledge Now” button and then “My Giving History.”
- Option 2 = Email: email@example.com
- Option 3 = Phone: 571-458-1072
- Option 4 = Donor Support Services Portal: charities.org/support
Once the donor is logged in, their work email address will display in the upper right corner of the screen.
Click “Pledge Now” to start the pledge process.
The donor has the option to start a new gift or renew their gift from the previous year’s Campaign. To renew, click “Renew a Gift from Last Year” to proceed. On the next screen, they will see a radio button that says “2020 Gift.” Click the radio button, and the site will show their 2020 history.
Note: If any prior year donations are not available, it may be because they gave by paper pledge, or a one-time donation (i.e. credit card, debit card or electronic check), which is not available in the giving portal. Only payroll deduction pledges are retained in and renewable through the giving portal. Alternatively, it may be because they gave to a charity that is not in the current Campaign. Donations to charities who are no longer eligible are not renewable.
To obtain this information, please contact Donor Support Services through one of the methods listed in options 2-4 above.
16. WHAT HAPPENS TO A GIFT IF A CHARITY TO WHOM A DONOR PLEDGED CLOSES?
In the event that a charity closes, the donor will be contacted to determine if the pledge should be re-designated, canceled, or reassigned as undesignated. If the gift is reassigned as undesignated, it will be distributed proportionately to all of the charities that received contributions in the Campaign.
17. HOW DO DONORS SEARCH FOR A CHARITY?
There are three ways to find a participating charity:
- Click the Charity Search button on the homepage of this site. The donor can search for a charity by name, Employer Identification Number (EIN), zip code, or county.
- The donor can log into their online giving account, which can be accessed at https://mcc.americascharities.stratuslive.com/.
- Giving Guide: The guide is downloadable from the this MCC website homepage. The Charity Directory includes information on all of the charities that have been approved to participate in the MCC for the current Campaign year.
18. INSTRUCTIONS FOR DONATING ONLINE:
Once the donor is logged into the giving portal, click “Pledge Now” from the landing page, then:
- From the landing page, click “Pledge Now,” then the donor will be asked to “Edit your profile.” Information entered here will be provided to the charity the donor supports through this Campaign so the charity can acknowledge the donor’s gift upon the donor’s request. Select “Continue” when the donor has finished updating your contact information.
- A pop-up box will appear to select the preferred payment method.
- Click “Add” to choose a payment method. Donors will see a screen prompting them to set up their gift payment frequency and amount based on the payment method selected.
- Once the donor finished entering their payment method preferences click “Continue” to find charities to support.
- To find charities to support, click the “Find a Charity” button.
- A pop-up box will appear. Use the charity name, city, state/territory, or Employer Identification Number (EIN) search features to find a specific organization, or click through the alphabetical list.
- Donors can select as many charities to support, as they would like. As they find charities to support click “Add” and they will appear highlighted in blue under “Selected Charities.”
- Click the orange “Add to Designations” button. The organization(s) selected will now display on the list of designations.
- Next, the donor will have the opportunity to allocate the total pledge amount between the organizations added to the list of designations. To specify how much money to donate to each, use the slider tool or enter the exact amount in the donation box next to the charity.
- When finished allocating the donation between charities, click “Continue.”
- Donors will have one final chance to review the gift and designations, and will be able to select whether the gifts remain anonymous or grant permission to have their contact information shared with the charity (ies) they supported through this Campaign.
- Click “Finish” to submit the pledge.
19. HOW DO DONORS MAKE CHANGES TO RETIREE PENSION DEDUCTIONS?
If the donor is a retiree and wishes to make changes to their pension deductions, they must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request their changes.
20. HOW DO CHARITIES ACCESS PLEDGE REPORTS?
Charities should visit the MCC charity page, https://mcc.maryland.gov/charities/, for more information about pledge reports.
21. HOW DO CHARITIES PARTICIPATE IN FUTURE CAMPAIGNS?
Applications to participate in the MCC are uploaded to the SOS website in December of each calendar year. The Office of the Secretary of State emails the criteria, instructions, and the application to every charity registered with the Office every December.