Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHY GIVE THROUGH THE MARYLAND CHARITY CAMPAIGN (MCC)?
The MCC provides donors with the opportunity to reach out and touch the lives of those in need; to sustain local, state, national, and international health, educational, environmental, and human service organizations; and to make a meaningful contribution to your community. And it’s so much more:
- The MCC provides a single, coordinated appeal, rather than hundreds of individual drives.
- The MCC is the way for State employees and retirees to participate in a local effort to meet local, national, and international health and human care needs.
- More than 1,000 charities are eligible for donations.
- Pledge now and pay in 2022. Payroll deductions make it easier to afford a more generous gift, allowing you to make smaller contributions from each paycheck.
- Charities that receive MCC donations may devote their MCC funds to areas where they are needed most. That’s a value-add for the donor and the charity.
- Donations are aggregated before they are disbursed to charities, significantly reducing the administrative burden on designated charities, which no longer need to process thousands of individual payments.
- The Campaign uses a state-of-the-art workplace and employee giving platform designed with Maryland’s employees in mind. It is intuitive and user-friendly, and even better, it gives employees the experience they want when giving to charity.
Read more reasons why you should give on this page.
2. WHY SHOULD I CONTRIBUTE THROUGH THE MCC?
The MCC is a convenient, cost-efficient method to donate through the ease of payroll or pension deduction, credit or debit card, or electronic check! The MCC also:
- Makes a difference: the community-at-large can identify the commitment of State employees and retirees, knowing that they are improving the quality of life for all Marylanders.
- Creates an opportunity: State employees and retirees may contribute to charitable organizations in an orderly and uniform process through one annual campaign.
- Gives you the power: you choose the amount and the charity or charities to receive your gift thus providing you the opportunity to contribute to one that touches your heart.
- Is accountable: all participating charities have been pre-screened to ensure that they are fiscally sound and that they perform the services stated.
- Is tax deductible: you get a record of your payroll deduction every payday.
- Is easy: you choose between regular payroll or pension deduction, a one-time credit or debit card contribution, or a one-time gift by electronic check.
Read more reasons why you should give on this page.
3. WHAT HAPPENS TO UNDESIGNATED CONTRIBUTIONS?
Undesignated contributions are distributed among MCC-participating charities based upon the percentage of the designated funds they receive. If no charity designation is specified, those funds will be treated as undesignated. No charity write-ins are permitted.
4. WHAT HAPPENS IF A CHARITY I WANT TO GIVE TO ISN’T LISTED?
Only the charities listed are eligible and approved by the Office of the Secretary of State to participate in the MCC. Charities that are not listed may not have applied or may not be eligible to participate.
5. HOW DOES A CHARITY BECOME PART OF THE MCC?
Each charity must apply annually and meet the criteria set forth in the Executive Order.
6. IF I CHANGE JOBS WITHIN THE STATE GOVERNMENT, WILL MY PAYROLL DEDUCTION CONTINUE?
Yes. If you transfer, please contact America’s Charities at email@example.com or call 571-458-1072.
7. HOW MUCH MONEY DID THE MCC RAISE LAST YEAR?
In 2020, more than 6,900 Maryland employees and retirees raised more than $2.1 million — $2,159,476 to be exact — through the MCC for nearly 1,000 worthy causes. Our 2021 goal is $2 million.
8. WHO ADMINISTERS THE MCC?
The Office of the Secretary of State administers the MCC.
9. WHO PROCESSES MY DONATIONS?
America’s Charities, as the Operating Agency, processes all donations.
10. WHAT ARE THE MCC’S OPERATING COSTS?
The administrative fee for the MCC’s Operating Agency is a flat amount established in the contract with the State. The corresponding percentage of dollars raised is based on the actual amount raised in the Campaign, but cannot exceed 11.84% of the prior year’s dollars raised.
11. DOES THE MCC SET A QUOTA ON CONTRIBUTIONS TO LARGER CHARITIES OR REDIRECT CONTRIBUTIONS TO SMALLER CHARITIES?
No, there are no quotas for contributions to larger charities. All contributions designated to eligible charities go to that charity. Undesignated dollars are distributed among the charities based upon a percentage of the designated funds they receive.
12. HOW DOES MY CHARITY RECEIVE ITS CONTRIBUTION?
After the Campaign ends, checks are distributed quarterly to each designated charity.
13. WHAT TAX INFORMATION DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Please ask your accountant or tax advisor specific questions about tax benefits.
14. HOW DO I GIVE ONLINE?
As in years past, you will begin your donation process by visiting the homepage and clicking “Give Now.” Once you land on the MCC online giving portal, simply click “Sign In” from the top right corner to be taken to the account sign-up page.
- Please contact the help desk at 571-458-1072 for assistance in creating your account.
- If you participated in the 2020 Campaign, click here and enter the credentials you created last year.
- If you can’t find or forgot the credentials you created for the 2020 MCC, visit http://impact.ac/mccforgotpw and click “Forgot Password.”
- If you did not create an account during the 2020 Campaign, you first need to register. Click here to get started, then follow the prompts to enter your work email and create a unique username and password. Passwords have the following requirements:
- Six (6) character minimum
- At least one alphanumeric character (!*^)
- At least one digit (0-9)
- At least one uppercase letter (A-Z)
Then click “Sign Up.”
Note: You will receive an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” with a link to verify your account. If you have not received the email after a few minutes, please check your spam folder. Once you click on the link, you will be directed back to the online giving portal to make your donation.
Within the pages of the Giving Guide, you will find comprehensive instructions on how to give by payroll deduction, credit card, debit card, or electronic check.
If you need assistance with creating or accessing your account, complete the form at http://impact.ac/2021mccloginhelp to contact the MCC Help Desk and get an answer within 24 hours.
15. WHAT SECURITY MEASURES ARE IN PLACE?
Protecting personal information is critical, and security is our top priority. In addition to complying with the State of Maryland’s rigorous security requirements, America’s Charities’ Simply Giving platform provides state-of-the-art security to prevent any data from being compromised, including requiring email verification. This requires all employees to create a new account and verify their work email addresses.
16. HOW CAN I ACCESS MY PREVIOUS PLEDGE HISTORY?
There are four ways you can access or request a copy of your 2020 MCC pledge/payment receipt:
- Option 1 = Log into your online giving account: If you participated in the 2020 MCC, you can log into your account by visiting the homepage and clicking the “Give Now” button. You will be directed to the online giving website. To view your pledge history, simply click “Sign In” from the top right corner of the site and log in or create a new account, per the instructions listed in #14. Once you have logged in, you can access your pledge history by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to the “Pledge Now” button and then “My Giving History.”
- Option 2 = Email: email@example.com
- Option 3 = Phone: 571-458-1072
- Option 4 = Donor Support Services Portal: charities.org/support
Once you are logged in, your work email address will display in the upper right corner of the screen.
Click “Pledge Now” to start the pledge process.
You have the option to start a new gift or renew your gift from the previous year’s Campaign. To renew, click “Renew a Gift from Last Year” to proceed. On the next screen, you will see a radio button that says “2020 Gift.” Click the radio button, and the site will show your 2020 history.
Note: If any prior year donations are not available, it may because you gave by paper pledge, which is not available in the giving portal. Online, not paper, pledges are retained in the giving portal. Or, it may be because you gave to a charity that is not eligible in the current Campaign year. Donations to ineligible charities are not renewable.
To obtain this information, please contact Donor Support Services through one of the methods listed in options 2-4 above.
17. WHAT HAPPENS TO MY GIFT IF THE CHARITY I DESIGNATED MY PLEDGE TO CLOSES?
In the event that the charity closes, the donor will be contacted to determine if the pledge should be re-designated, canceled, or undesignated, in which case the gift will be distributed proportionately to all of the charities that received contributions in the Campaign.
18. HOW DO I SEARCH FOR A CHARITY?
There are three ways to find a participating charity:
- Click the Charity Search button on the homepage. There you can search for a charity by name, Employer Identification Number (EIN), zip code, or county.
- Log into your online giving account, which can be accessed at https://mcc.americascharities.stratuslive.com/.
- Giving Guide: This booklet can be downloaded or browsed online. The Charity Directory includes information on all of the charities that have been approved to participate in the MCC for the current Campaign year. Go back to the homepage to access it.
19. HOW DO I GIVE BY PAYROLL DEDUCTION?
Once you are logged into the giving portal, click “Pledge Now” from the landing page, then:
- From the landing page, click “Pledge Now,” then you will be asked to “Edit your profile.” Information you enter will be provided to the nonprofits you support through this Campaign so they can acknowledge your gift upon your request. Select “Continue” when you have finished updating your contact information.
- A pop-up box will appear where you can select your preferred payment method.
- Click “Add” to choose a payment method. You will then see a screen prompting you to set up your gift payment frequency and amount based on the payment method you selected.
- Once you have finished entering your payment method preferences click “Continue” to find charities to support.
- To find charities to support, click the “Find a Charity” button.
- A pop-up box will appear. Use the charity name, city, state/territory, and Employer Identification Number (EIN) search features to find a specific organization, or click through the alphabetical list.
- You can select as many charities to support as you would like. As you find charities you want to support click “Add” and they will appear highlighted in blue under “Selected Charities.”
- Click the orange “Add to Designations” button. The organization(s) you selected will now display on your list of designations.
- Next, you will have the opportunity to allocate your total pledge amount between the organizations you have added to your list of designations. To specify how much money to donate to each, use the slider tool or enter the exact amount in the donation box next to the charity.
- When you have finished allocating your donation between charities, click “Continue.”
- You will have one final chance to review your gift and designations, and will also be able to select whether your gifts remain anonymous or grant permission to have your contact information shared with the charity(ies) you supported through this Campaign.
- Click “Finish” to submit your pledge.
Please find the step-by-step online giving instructions within the pages of the Giving Guide available on the homepage. Or, watch the video tutorial in our “How To” tutorials playlist on YouTube. Or, click here to watch the tutorial on YouTube.
20. HOW DO I MAKE CHANGES TO RETIREE PENSION DEDUCTIONS?
If you are a Retiree and you wish to make changes to your pension deductions, you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request your changes.
21. HOW DO CHARITIES ACCESS PLEDGE REPORTS OR PARTICIPATE IN FUTURE CAMPAIGNS?
Charities should visit the MCC charity page, https://mcc.maryland.gov/charities/, for more information about pledge reports. Charities that wish to be notified when the next year’s Campaign application should complete this form, which you can also find on the MCC charity page. The MCC will contact those who request to be notified when the next year’s MCC charity application is available.