Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHEN DID THE 2019 MARYLAND CHARITY CAMPAIGN (MCC) TAKE PLACE?
The 2019 MCC ran October 8-December 17, 2019. On December 17, 2019, it was announced that the MCC remained open online until December 31, 2019. The 2019 MCC officially closed on December 31, 2019.
2. WHAT WAS THE 2019 MCC THEME?
Our 2019 theme was Maryland Cares! Together We Can…
3. WHY GIVE THROUGH THE MARYLAND CHARITY CAMPAIGN (MCC)?
The MCC provides donors with the opportunity to reach out and touch the lives of those in need; to sustain local, state, national and international health, educational, environmental, and human service organizations; and to make a meaningful contribution to your community. And it’s so much more:
- The MCC provides a single, coordinated appeal, rather than hundreds of individual drives.
- The MCC is the way for State Employees and Retirees to participate in a local effort to meet local, national, and international health and human care needs.
- Nearly 1,000 charities are eligible for donations.
- Pledge now and pay in 2020. Payroll deductions make it easier to afford a more generous gift, allowing you to make smaller contributions from each paycheck.
- Charities that receive MCC donations may devote their MCC funds to areas where they are needed most. That’s a value-add for the donor and the charity.
- Designated charities receive one check quarterly for multiple donations, decreasing their administrative burden.
- Workplace giving donors give on average five times more since they are typically deducted from paychecks all year long, providing nonprofits with sustainable, unrestricted funds.
- The Campaign uses a state-of-the-art workplace and employee giving platform designed with Maryland’s Employees in mind. It is intuitive and user-friendly, and even better, it gives Employees the experience they want when giving to charity.
4. WHY SHOULD I CONTRIBUTE THROUGH THE MCC?
The MCC is a convenient, cost-efficient method to donate through the ease of payroll or pension deduction, check, or credit card! The MCC also:
- Makes a difference: the community-at-large can identify the commitment of State Employees and Retirees, knowing that they are improving the quality of life for all Marylanders.
- Creates an opportunity: State Employees and Retirees may contribute to charitable organizations in an orderly and uniform process through one annual campaign.
- Gives you the power: you choose the amount and the charity or charities to receive your gift thus providing you the opportunity to contribute to one that touches your heart.
- Is accountable: all participating charities have been pre-screened to ensure that they are fiscally sound and that they perform the services stated.
- Is tax deductible: you get a record of your payroll deduction every payday.
- Is easy: you choose between regular payroll or pension deduction, a one-time credit card contribution, or a one-time gift by check.
5. WHAT HAPPENS TO UNDESIGNATED CONTRIBUTIONS?
Undesignated contributions are distributed among MCC-participating charities based upon the percentage of the designated funds they receive. If no charity designation is specified, those funds will be treated as undesignated. No charity write-ins are permitted.
6. WHAT HAPPENS IF A CHARITY I WANT TO GIVE TO ISN’T LISTED?
Only the charities listed are eligible and approved by the Office of the Secretary of State to participate in the MCC. Charities that are not listed may not have applied or may not be eligible to participate.
7. HOW DOES A CHARITY BECOME PART OF THE MCC?
Each charity must apply annually and meet the criteria set forth in the Executive Order. The
8. IF I CHANGE JOBS WITHIN THE STATE GOVERNMENT, WILL MY PAYROLL DEDUCTION CONTINUE?
Yes. If you transfer, please contact America’s Charities at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 458-9505, and dial “1” when prompted.
9. HOW MUCH MONEY DID THE MCC RAISE IN 2018?
In 2018, more than 11,000 Maryland Employees and Retirees raised $2,683,844 through the MCC for 800 charities. Our 2019 goal is $2.8 million. We are currently tabulating final results.
10. WHO ADMINISTERS THE MCC?
The Office of the Secretary of State administers the MCC.
11. WHO PROCESSES MY DONATIONS?
America’s Charities, as the Operating Agency, processes all donations.
12. WHAT ARE THE MCC’S OPERATING COSTS?
The administrative fee for the MCC’s Operating Agency is a flat amount established in the contract with the State. The corresponding percentage of dollars raised is based on the actual amount raised in the Campaign, but cannot exceed 11.94% of the prior year’s dollars raised.
13. DOES THE MCC SET A QUOTA ON CONTRIBUTIONS TO LARGER CHARITIES OR REDIRECT CONTRIBUTIONS TO SMALLER CHARITIES?
No, there are no quotas for contributions to larger charities. All contributions designated to eligible charities go to that charity. Undesignated dollars are distributed among the charities based upon a percentage of the designated funds they receive.
14. HOW DOES MY CHARITY RECEIVE ITS CONTRIBUTION?
After the Campaign ends, checks are distributed quarterly to each designated charity.
15. WHAT TAX INFORMATION DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Please ask your accountant or tax advisor specific questions about tax benefits.
16. HOW DID 2019 MCC DONORS GIVE ONLINE?
We implemented a new and easier giving experience for the 2019 MCC. As in years past, donors began the process by visiting the homepage and clicking a “Give Now” button, which was removed once the Campaign ended. Once donors landed on the new MCC online giving portal, they simply clicked “Sign In” on the top right corner of the site to enter their new Usernames and Passwords/Unique Codes based on their specific agencies.
17. WHAT SECURITY MEASURES ARE IN PLACE?
Protecting personal information is critical, and security is our top priority. In addition to complying with the State of Maryland’s rigorous security requirements, America’s Charities’ Simply Giving platform provides state-of-the-art security to prevent any data from being compromised.
18. HOW CAN I ACCESS MY 2018 PLEDGE HISTORY?
There are four ways you can access or request a copy of your 2018 MCC pledge/payment receipt:
- Option 1 = Email: email@example.com
- Option 2 = Phone: (800) 458-9505, dial “1” when prompted
- Option 3 = Live Chat and Donor Support Services Portal: charities.org/support
- Option 4 = Log into your online giving account: If you participated in the 2018 MCC, you can log into your account by visiting the homepage and clicking the “Give Now” button. You will be directed to the online giving website. To view your pledge history, simply click “Sign In” from the top right corner of the site and reference this chart to determine your credentials based on your agency. To view this table on your mobile device, please click here for a PDF.
Once you are logged in, your username will display in the upper right corner of the screen.
Click “Pledge Now” to start the pledge process.
Then, click “Renew a Gift from Last Year” to proceed. On the next screen, you will see a radio button that says “2018 Gift.” Click the radio button, and the site will show your 2018 history.
Note: If any 2018 donations are not reflected in your giving history, it may be due to one of the following reasons. To obtain this information, please contact Donor Support Services through one of the methods indicated above.
- Donations by check are not reflected in pledge history as they are not renewable donations. Please start a new paper pledge donation to give by check.
- Prior donations to a charity that is not eligible in the current Campaign year is not included in pledge history as these donations are not renewable. Charities that are not listed may not have applied or may not be eligible to participate.
19. WHAT HAPPENS TO MY GIFT IF THE CHARITY TO WHICH I DESIGNATED MY PLEDGE CLOSED?
In the event a charity closes, the donor will be contacted to determine if the pledge should be re-designated, canceled, or undesignated, in which case the gift will be distributed proportionately to all of the charities that received contributions in the Campaign.
20. HOW DO I SEARCH FOR A CHARITY?
There are three ways to find a participating charity:
- Click the Charity Search button on this site. Click here to get back to the homepage. Then you can search for a charity by name, EIN, zip code, or county.
- Log into your online giving account, which can be accessed at https://mcc.americascharities.stratuslive.com/.
- Giving Guide: This hardcopy booklet includes information on all of the charities that have been approved to participate in the MCC for the current Campaign year. You may also access it online here.
21. HOW DO I GIVE BY PAYROLL DEDUCTION?
Once you are logged into the giving portal, click “Pledge Now” from the landing page, then:
- From the landing page, click “Pledge Now,” then you will be asked to “Edit your profile.” Information you enter will be provided to the nonprofits you support through this Campaign so they can acknowledge your gift upon your request. Select “Continue” when you have finished updating your contact information.
- A pop-up box will appear where you can select your preferred payment method.
- Click “Add” to choose a payment method. You will then see a screen prompting you to set up your gift payment frequency and amount based on the payment method you selected.
- Once you have finished entering your payment method preferences click “Continue” to find charities to support.
- To find charities to support, click the “Find a Charity” button.
- A pop-up box will appear. Use the charity name, city, state/territory, and EIN search features to find a specific organization, or click through the alphabetical list.
- You can select as many charities to support as you would like. As you find charities you want to support click “Add” and they will appear highlighted in blue under “Selected Charities.”
- Click the orange “Add to Designations” button. The organization(s) you selected will now display on your list of designations.
- Next, you will have the opportunity to allocate your total pledge amount between the organizations you have added to your list of designations. To specify how much money to donate to each, use the slider tool or enter the exact amount in the donation box next to the charity.
- When you have finished allocating your donation between charities, click “Continue.”
- You will have one final chance to review your gift and designations, and will also be able to select whether your gifts remain anonymous or grant permission to have your contact information shared with the charity(ies) you supported through this Campaign.
- Click “Finish” to submit your pledge.
22. HOW DO I MAKE CHANGES TO RETIREE PENSION DEDUCTIONS?
If you are a Retiree and you wish to make changes to your pension deductions, you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request your changes.
23. HOW DO CHARITIES ACCESS PLEDGE REPORTS OR PARTICIPATE IN FUTURE CAMPAIGNS?
Charities should visit the MCC charity page, https://mcc.maryland.gov/charities/, for more information about pledge reports and other relevant information for charities. The deadline for charities to submit their 2020 MCC applications was February 14, 2020. If you would like to be notified when the 2021 application is available, please complete this form and we will be in touch.