Frequently Asked Questions
Check out the Maryland Charity Campaign Shopping Cart Tutorial – This tutorial will show you how to use the Shopping Cart feature on the MCC giving portal.
1. WHY GIVE THROUGH THE MARYLAND CHARITY CAMPAIGN (MCC)?
The MCC provides donors with the opportunity to reach out and touch the lives of those in need; to sustain local, state, national and international health, educational, environmental and human service organizations; and to make a meaningful contribution to your community. And it’s so much more:
- The MCC provides a single, coordinated appeal, rather than hundreds of individual drives.
- The MCC is the way for State Employees and Retirees to participate in a local effort to meet local, national and international health and human care needs.
- More than 800 charities are eligible for donations.
- Pledge now and pay in 2019. Payroll deductions make it easier to afford a more generous gift, allowing you to make smaller contributions from each paycheck.
- Charities that receive MCC donations may devote their MCC funds to areas where they are needed most. That’s a value-add for the donor and the charity.
- Designated charities receive one check quarterly for multiple donations.
- Workplace giving donors give on average five times more since they are typically deducted from paychecks all year long, providing nonprofits with sustainable, unrestricted funds.
- The Campaign uses a state-of-the-art workplace and employee giving platform designed with Maryland’s Employees in mind. It is intuitive and user-friendly, and even better, it gives Employees the experience they want when giving to charity.
2. WHY SHOULD I CONTRIBUTE THROUGH THE MCC?
The MCC is a convenient, cost-efficient method to donate through the ease of payroll deduction, check or credit card! The MCC also:
- Makes a difference: the community-at-large can identify the commitment of State Employees and Retirees, knowing that they are improving the quality of life for all Marylanders.
- Creates an opportunity: State Employees and Retirees may contribute to charitable organizations in an orderly and uniform process through one annual campaign.
- Gives you the power: you choose the amount and the charity or charities to receive your gift thus giving you the opportunity to contribute to one that touches your heart.
- Is accountable: all participating charities have been pre-screened to ensure that they are fiscally sound and that they perform the services stated.
- Is tax deductible: you get a record of your payroll deduction every payday.
- Is easy: you choose between regular payroll deduction, a one-time or recurring credit card contribution, or a one-time gift by check.
3. WHAT HAPPENS TO UNDESIGNATED CONTRIBUTIONS?
Undesignated contributions are distributed among MCC participating charities based upon the percentage of the designated funds they receive. If no charity designation is specified, those funds will be treated as undesignated. No charity write-ins are allowed.
4. WHAT HAPPENS IF A CHARITY I WANT TO GIVE TO ISN’T LISTED?
Only the charities listed are eligible and approved by the Office of the Secretary of State to participate in the MCC. Charities that are not listed may not have applied or may not be eligible to participate.
5. HOW DOES A CHARITY BECOME PART OF THE MCC?
Each charity must apply annually and meet the criteria set forth in the executive order.
6. IF I CHANGE JOBS WITHIN THE STATE GOVERNMENT, WILL MY PAYROLL DEDUCTION CONTINUE?
Yes. If you transfer, please contact America’s Charities at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 458-9505, dial “1” when prompted.
7. HOW MUCH MONEY DID THE MCC RAISE LAST YEAR?
In 2017, the MCC exceeded its goal and raised $3,000,675 million for nearly 900 charities.
8. WHO ADMINISTERS THE MCC?
The Office of the Secretary of State administers the MCC.
9. WHO PROCESSES MY DONATIONS?
America’s Charities, as the Operating Agency, processes all donations.
10. WHAT ARE THE MCC’S OPERATING COSTS?
The administrative fee for the MCC’s Operating Agency is a flat amount established in the contract with the State. The corresponding percentage of dollars raised is based on the actual amount raised in the Campaign, but cannot exceed 12% of the prior year’s dollars raised.
11. DOES THE MCC SET A QUOTA ON CONTRIBUTIONS TO LARGER CHARITIES OR REDIRECT CONTRIBUTIONS TO SMALLER CHARITIES?
No, there are no quotas for contributions to larger charities. All contributions designated to eligible charities go to that charity. Undesignated dollars are distributed among the charities based upon a percentage of the designated funds they receive.
12. HOW DOES MY CHARITY RECEIVE ITS CONTRIBUTION?
After the Campaign ends, distributions are sent quarterly to each designated charity.
13. WHAT TAX INFORMATION DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Please ask your accountant or tax advisor specific questions about tax benefits.
14. WHAT SECURITY MEASURES ARE IN PLACE?
Protecting personal information is critical, and security is our top priority. In addition to complying with the State of Maryland’s rigorous security requirements, America’s Charities is powered by Causecast, which provides state of the art security to prevent any data from being compromised.
15. HOW CAN I ACCESS MY PREVIOUS PLEDGE HISTORY?
There are four ways you can access or request a copy of your 2017 MCC pledge/payment receipt:
Option 1 = Email: email@example.com
Option 2 = Phone: (800) 458-9505, dial “1” when prompted
Option 3 = Live Chat and Donor Support Services Portal: www.charities.org/support
Option 4 = Log into your account: If you participated in the 2017 MCC, you can log into your account by visiting http://mcc.maryland.gov and click the “Give Now” button. If you have forgotten your username and password, click the “Forgot Password” link. Once you have logged into the site, click “Give” from the navigation menu and select “Giving History.” Click “View receipt” for each donation you made through the site. If you submitted a pledge using a pledge form last year, we advise that you request a copy of your receipt using option 1, 2, or 3 above.
16. WHAT HAPPENS TO MY GIFT IF THE CHARITY I DESIGNATED MY PLEDGE TO CLOSES?
In the event that the charity closes, the donor will be contacted to determine if the pledge should be re-designated, canceled or undesignated, in which case, the gift will be distributed proportionately to all of the charities that received contributions in the campaign.
17. HOW DO I GIVE BY PAYROLL DEDUCTION?
Once you are logged into the giving portal, click “Give” from the navigation menu on the left, then:
- Search for a participating MCC nonprofit by charity name, keyword, MCC Code (the EIN of the charity which is listed in the MCC Giving Guide), and by postal code, including charities nearest you by postal code and radius.
- When you find a charity you would like to support, click the “Give Now” link located under the charity name to start the pledge process.
- A pop-up box will appear where you can select your preferred payment method. For payroll deductions, the payroll frequency listed is tailored to automatically mirror your pay frequency, e.g., biweekly, monthly. Select your payment method and click “Next.”
- Under “Add Donation Amount” enter the amount you would like to pledge (this is the amount that will be deducted each pay period). To receive an acknowledgment from the charity, check “Yes” under “Contact Information.” You may include a short message with your donation, which will be provided to the charity.
- To donate to additional charities, click the “Add to Cart” button and your donation to the charity will be saved in your shopping cart. Once you are done selecting charities to support, click the “Checkout” button to complete the pledge process.
- A “Checkout Summary” will appear, allowing you to edit your pledges and payment information.
- Once you click the “Submit” button your pledge is complete. Once you have submitted your pledge, you can edit or cancel your pledge by clicking “Give” from the navigation menu and selecting “Manage Donations.” A list of charities you have pledged to will display. Click “Edit” or “Cancel” next to the donation you would like to modify. If you modify your pledge, you will receive a confirmation message that your original pledge has been modified after you submit the change.
18. HOW DO I SET OR CHANGE MY TIME ZONE IN THE GIVING PORTAL?
You can do so by following these steps:
- From the dashboard click the drop-down in the upper right-hand corner next to your name and select “Profile.”
- Click “Edit Profile” (under the box where you can insert a picture).
- Use the drop-down menu under “Time Zone.” You need to search for a nearby city (e.g. New York), rather than by East, Central, or West Coast, etc. If you are on the east coast just type an “N” and you will navigate down the list to select New York more easily.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and save your changes.
19. INFORMATION FOR CHARITIES PARTICIPATING IN THE MCC
Have a question about pledge reports or participating in the MCC? Click here.
Don’t see the answer you need? Call 800-458-9505, dial “1” when prompted; or email firstname.lastname@example.org